Our Commitment to Climate Action
Greenhouse gas emissions*2
Achieving carbon neutrality in greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) across our entire value chain by FY2030*2
We only have one planet, and everyone has a responsibility to protect the health and longevity of our home. Recruit Group is committed to protecting our environment by focusing on action against climate change, and setting a group-wide target for reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions to achieve carbon neutrality.
Progress in FY2021
Achieved carbon neutrality in the amount of GHG emissions throughout our business activities*3
We expect to have achieved our short-term goal as planned by reaching carbon neutrality in the amount of GHG emissions throughout our business activities (Scope 1 and 2) in FY2021*3.
Set a three-year target to achieve carbon neutrality throughout the entire value chain
In order to accelerate our efforts to become carbon neutral in GHG emissions throughout the entire value chain (Scope 1, 2 and 3), we have set a three-year reduction target*4 that aligns with the science-based 1.5°C pathway*5, an international framework that aims to limit the increase in global average temperature to less than 1.5 °C above that of the pre-industrial era. In addition, we will accelerate our efforts by linking the degree of achievement of the three-year target to a portion of the long-term incentive compensation for executives in charge of driving and realizing the target.
Conducted analysis on climate-driven risks and opportunities in line with the TCFD framework*6
Based on the analysis, we will pursue measures to reduce the risks while at the same time seizing opportunities for sustainable growth. We disclose the results of the analysis at "Our Actions on Climate Change and Adoption of the Recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD)" in the annual report for FY2021, translated from "Yukashouken Houkokusho".
Committed to science-based emissions reduction targets (near-term), in line with the SBTi*7 1.5°C pathway
To achieve carbon neutrality throughout our value chain*2, we set science-based GHG emissions reduction targets in June 2022. In addition, we set near-term targets aligned with the SBTi 1.5°C pathway*4.
Initiatives to reduce GHG emissions
Major sources of GHG emissions in our business activities include electricity and gas use in offices, while the major source of emissions in the value chain are the publication of information magazines and transportation for employees and temporary staff. We are working towards reductions through energy saving at offices, switching to renewable energy, better engagement with partners, and encouraging remote work.
We have formulated a robust Environmental Policy, and are committed to global environmental conservation activities throughout all our corporate activities.
Conservation of Biodiversity
In cooperation with our suppliers, we engage in recycling activities and environmental pollution prevention initiatives as well as tree-planting projects.
- On this webpage, the number of years stated are reflective of the number of Recruit Holdings fiscal years, which begin on April 1 each year and end March 31 of the following year. All figures displayed here are approximate.
- Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions throughout business activities are the sum of direct emissions from the use of fuels in owned or controlled sources (Scope 1) and indirect emissions from the use of purchased electricity, heat, or steam in owned or controlled sources (Scope 2). GHG emissions from the value chain are indirect emissions other than Scope 1 and 2 (Scope 3). The entire value chain represents the total of Scopes 1, 2 and 3. Carbon neutrality includes reducing GHG emissions as well as offsetting the remaining emissions. We recalculated the emissions for FY2019 and FY2020 based on the GHG Emissions Recalculation Policy which was established in accordance with the GHG protocol. We excluded emissions that had been calculated redundantly within the Group, and to include upstream emissions of transportation related to fuel production and distribution (Well-to-Tank).
- GHG emissions throughout business activities are the sum of Scope 1 and 2. . Carbon neutrality includes reducing GHG emissions as well as offsetting the remaining emissions. The Company will have obtained its FY2021 goal of carbon neutral assurance throughout its business activities upon completion of the following steps: Conducted measurement of FY2021 GHG emissions, obtained an accredited third-party assurance on the amount by April 2023, and offsetting of those emissions.
- The GHG emission reduction target is based on the results from FY2022 to FY2024.
- The GHG emission reduction target established in line with the science-based decarbonizing level of limiting global temperature rise to 1.5 ℃ compared to the temperature before the Industrial Revolution, which was reported by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
- A framework indicating climate change-related risks and opportunities created by the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD).
- The Science Based Target initiative (SBTi) is a joint initiative by WWF, CDP (former Carbon Disclosure Project), World Resources Institute (WRI), and the United Nations Global Compact. SBTi is encouraging companies to set reduction targets consistent with scientific knowledge in order to achieve 1.5˚C Pathway.