Our Commitment to Climate Action
Greenhouse Gas Emissions*2
Achieving carbon neutrality across our entire value chain by FY2030*2
We only have one planet, and everyone has a responsibility to protect the health and longevity of our home. Recruit Group is committed to protecting our environment by focusing on action against climate change, and setting a group-wide target for reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions to achieve carbon neutrality.
Progress in FY2022
Achieving Carbon Neutrality throughout Our Business Activities*2
We anticipate achieving our short-term goal as planned by reaching carbon neutrality throughout our business activities in FY2022, just as in FY2021.*2,3
Selected as a Supplier Engagement Leader for Two Consecutive Years
In recognition of our collaboration with partners to reduce Scope 3 emissions, which account for more than 90% of the Recruit Group's GHG emissions, the Company was rated as a top company on CDP's*4 2022 Supplier Engagement Rating (SER)
Avoidance of GHG Emissions through Our Products
We have also contributed to the avoidance of GHG emissions through our business by reducing transportation associated with job interviews through Indeed Interview, a product that allows job interviews to be completed virtually.*5 The estimated amount of GHG emissions that could be avoided in FY2021 through the product is equivalent to the charging capacity of more than 1.5 billion smartphones.*6
Disclosure in Line with the TCFD Framework*7
Based on the analysis, we will pursue measures to reduce the risks while at the same time seizing opportunities for sustainable growth. We disclosed the results of the analysis this year in the annual report for FY2022, translated from "Yukashouken Houkokusho".
Progress in FY2023
Our GHG Reduction Target has been Validated by SBTi
Our GHG reduction target has been validated by SBTi (Science Based Targets initiative) as a "Near-term targets to 1.5℃."*8
Our Approach for the Environment
Environmental Management System
We have established an environmental policy, and are committed to conserve the environment through our business.
Initiatives for Climate Change
We conduct climate actions by implementing both "mitigation" measures, which involve reducing GHG emissions and other means both within and beyond the value chain, and "adaptation" measures, which aim to reduce the negative effects of climate change and amplify positive impacts.
Conservation of Biodiversity
In cooperation with our suppliers, we engage in recycling activities and environmental pollution prevention initiatives as well as tree-planting projects.
- On this webpage, the number of years stated are reflective of the number of Recruit Holdings fiscal years, which begin on April 1 each year and end March 31 of the following year. All figures displayed here are approximate.
- GHG emissions throughout our business activities are the sum of direct emissions from the use of fuels in owned or controlled sources and are referred to as Scope 1. Indirect emissions from the use of purchased electricity, heat, or steam in owned or controlled sources are referred to as Scope 2. GHG emissions from the value chain are referred to as Scope 3, and comprise indirect emissions other than Scope 1 and 2. The entire value chain represents the sum of Scopes 1, 2 and 3 GHG emissions. The Company aims to achieve carbon neutrality upon completion of the following steps: measurement of GHG emissions, obtaining an accredited third-party assurance on the amount of GHG emissions, and offsetting of those emissions.
- All GHG emission figures are approximate numbers calculated based on the GHG Protocol. Additionally, independent third-party assurances have been obtained from SOCOTEC Certification Japan for GHG emissions and avoided GHG emissions in FY2021.
- CDP is a British charity-controlled non-governmental organization (NGO) established in 2000. It owns one of the world's largest environmental databases, working with over 746 investors with over 130 trillion US dollars in assets to disclose the environmental impact of companies.
- The amount of GHG emissions avoided through Indeed Interview is more than approximately 13,000t-CO2, a contribution beyond the Group's value chain mitigation, so it is not included in the calculation of the Group's Scope 1, Scope 2 or Scope 3 GHG emissions.
- Sample figures based on the results of converting the amount of GHG emissions avoided; using Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator of United States Environmental Protection Agency available at https://www.epa.gov/energy/greenhouse-gas-equivalencies-calculator#results.
- A framework indicating climate change-related risks and opportunities created by the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD).
- Near-term targets to 1.5℃ is a short-term target defined by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) and established in line with the science-based level of reduction in GHG emissions required to limit the global temperature rise to below 1.5℃ compared to the temperatures before the Industrial Revolution.